The Atatürk Society of America (ASA) is an independent non-profit organization founded 1995 in Washington DC, with the objective of promoting the ideals of Atatürk’s political legacy.
ASA understands Atatürk’s political philosophy to be:
- Sovereignty belongs to the people.
- People alone administer people.
- Public sovereignty cannot be shared with any other authority, including religious authority.
- Secular education ensures public sovereignty and rationality in politics.
- For progress, science and reason must supersede superstition and dogma.
- Contemporary civilization is the common heritage of humankind.
- Peace at home and peace in the world assures the universality of civilization.
Towards this objective the ASA organizes scholarly lectures, provides research fellowships, develops a resource and reference center, and makes presentations regarding the importance of Atatürk’s political philosophy for international prosperity and peace.